"Herzliya" Hebrew High School stamp
The stamp issued August 2004 presents an historic photo of the monumental entrance and impressive facade of the School in Herzl Street, corner Ahad Aham Street, Tel Aviv. This is contrasted by a number of colourful flasks and vials in the foreground of the stamp, illustrating the contemporary aspect of subjects taught. Early Zionist attempts to establish modern Hebrew schools in Palestine were only partly successful due to strong opposition from strictly traditional/religeious Jews in the Land. During the Second Aliyah in 1906, a group of young teachers, zealous for the revival of a Jewish nation, established a private Hebrew School in Jaffa. Commencing with primary students, it gradually extended into a High School, the Gymnasium Herzilyah which was successful in providing a solution to restrictions placed on Jewish students attending High Schools in Europe. In 1909 the Herzliyah Gymnasium was relocated to Tel Aviv, remaining a model of modern Hebrew education where thousands of Zionist abroad sent their children to study.
The stamp with an information sheet are enclosed in a plastic protection sheet
One only left