Stamp: The Israel Flag
The four stamps issued in this series June 2003, show the historical development of the national flag of Israel from the 15th century onward
1.90 stamp shows a flag with the "magen David" in the 15th century Prague Synagogue. An inscription on the flag states that Emperor Charles LV granted the flag to the Jewish community in 1347.
2.30 stamp shows a rider on horseback representing Michael Halperin, leader of the Jewish Settlement in Palestine, waving a white flag with the star of David and the words "Ness Ziona" embroidered in gold on the bottom blue stripe, against a 1897 photograph of the "Worker's Village" in the background. The ceremony held in 1897 celebrated the laying of the cornerstone for the village and the first time a Jewish Settlement openly raised the flag that late became the flag of the Zionist movement.
4.70 stamp, When Theodore Herzl published "Der Judenstaat" (The Jewish State) in 1896, unaware that a bluestriped/white flag with a shield of David was in use by others, designed a white flag with the Star of David in the centre and six gold stars placed in each corner of the Star of David and one star at the top. The seven stars symbolized a seven-hour working day, for "we shall enter the Promised Land in the sign of work."Later he accepted the"Shield of David" as the emblem of the Zionist movement, but added the picture of a lion to the centre of the gold-embroidered Shield, placed the six gold stars in its angles and the seventh above it. This became the first emblem of the Zionist Organization. All three flags are pictured on the stamp with a congress meeting in the background.
5.90 stamp shows the official flag of the State of Israel against the background of Jewish celebrations after the UN decision of 29 November 1947.
The stamps with an information sheet are enclosed in a plastic protection sheet